Re: boot partition (Was: install on PowerBook - no root partition defined)

Hi Valery,

Valery Ushakov wrote:
I don't remember the details, but iirc you cannot convince OFW to
recognize FAT partition on a disk that has apple pmap.  Or may be you
need some arcane knowledge...  But since Apple's OFW is mostly
stripped, you cannot "see".  The disk must be plain, boring MBR.  Make
sure there are no residual traces of pmap.

I'm not expert about the details of partition maps and OFW. The only time I installed NetBSD on MacPPC was years ago on a system with old OF.
The reason why I am doing this hassle is because according to:

https://www.netbsd.org/ports/macppc/partitioning.html

OF 1.x and 2.x will boot a disklabel partitioned disk, but not OF 3.
I have OF 4.x

IMO, if you don't need to dual-boot with MacOSX and your OFW
recognizes MBR/FAT, just stay away from pmap/HFS.

I'm going to try my luck using disklabel and creating from srach FAT (a), FFS (b) and SWAP (c) and see what happens.

Riccardo