Re: The first reboot to hard drive after the CD-rom install failed

On Thu, 2 Apr 2020 07:39:44 +0200
Martin Husemann <martin%duskware.de@localhost> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 01, 2020 at 11:35:01PM +0300, Valery Ushakov wrote:
> > At least on more modern macs you can set up your disk with MBR only.
>
> What would be a good way for sysinst to detect the "more modern" property?
> Some pattern in hw.model? Should we make /rom/boot-rom.model available
> via sysctl and would that help?

Hmm, all my new world macs have a 'model' property on the /openprom
node that says 'OpenFirmware 3' or - on G5s - 'OpenFirmware 4'.
Older machines have something like 'OpenFirmware, 1.0.5' or
'OpenFirmware, 2.0'.

So, as far as I can tell, 'more modern' == 'OpenFirmware >= 3'.

have fun
Michael