Re: NetBSD under VM - ntpd doesn't do the job

On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 11:20:36PM -0500, Donald Lee wrote:
> Are there any options in NetBSD that will make the clock behave better
> when the maching is a VM? I'm running an x86 NetBSD 6 VM and it runs
> fine, but the clock drifts pretty badly.

I've noticed this on my netbsd EC2 instances, so I just cron'ed ntpdate to run
a bit more frequently against pool.ntp.org

> Linux's clock is rock solid as a VM. I have read that the difference is
> that linux handles the HW clock in a "VM-friendly" way.

I havn't found that to be the case at all, I would usually find linux instances
hung becuase the clock had drifted back and forth so much that something
decided it had had enough. Not so bad for worker instances that get tossed away
but it caused all kinds of headaches on the DB clusters.

Btw. check if your over using the CPU that is the usual cause of clock drift in
a VM.

Cheers,
Ben