Re: Keeping up to date with -current with a cross-compiler

Hello,

On Tue, 13 Dec 2011 00:21:57 -0500
David Riley <fraveydank%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:

> >> I've noticed that the 9500 is pretty slow on modern NetBSD, especially
> >> compared to the speed I remember from the 1.6 days.  I don't remember if
> >> that's nostalgia covering my memory or not, but disk I/O seems
> >> particularly slow (I'm using MESH).  I'd run a profiling build, but that
> >> seems to have trouble with build.sh (and the patch I saw online a year or
> >> so ago to add that to build.sh never seems to have made it into the
> >> mainline).
> >
> > Are you by any chance using the same old kernel config from 1.6? Mesh had a
> > bug that prevented synchronous transfers which I fixed somewhere around
> > 2.0, older configs will disable sync negotiation - if your config is old
> > the disable sync bits probably never got removed.
>
> I installed fresh from 5.0.2 a while ago.  So in theory, it shouldn't be
> that.  I'll take a look at some point.

Just look at your dmesg output, the sd driver's output should tell you
wether it's using 10MB/s synchronous transfers or something slower.
Also, your cable might be bad. That said, I didn't really torture any
mesh for years, maybe I should have a look.

> > I used to build releases on a dual 2GHz G5 running 10.5 - it barely managed
> > to beat a dual 500MHz G4 running NetBSD thanks to OSX's slow-as-hell
> > fork() ( and probably NetBSD being much faster creating and deleting lots
> > and lots of small files )
>
> Curious.  One of these days I need to get the power supply in my MDD G4 fixed
> so I can set it up as a proper server.  Seems all those machines
> developed a curious power supply failure right around the same time... there
> are a bunch of forum postings about it clustered around just a few months.

Should be a bog standard ATX power supply, IIRC most G4s shipped with
200W or 250W ones so pretty much anything you can get should do the job.
Then, when I got my G4 I thought it had a bad power supply because it
wouldn't power up - turned out the CPU module got loose during
transport and after reseating it things Just Worked(tm). What I'm
trying to say is it's not necessarily the power supply, I'd reseat
everything before buying a new one.

have fun
Michael