Re: On-disk kernel hanging after install

Hello,

On Apr 10, 2011, at 3:36 AM, Julio Merino wrote:

On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 2:35 AM, Michael <macallan%netbsd.org@localhost> wrote:
You can just make an iso9660 image with only ofwboot.xcf in it, dd it to the first sectors of the disk, then disklabel it ( don't bother with pdisk,
ofwboot.xcf knows how to find and read disklabels ). Make sure your
partitions don't overwrite the iso. We should probably teach sysinst how to
do that since this method should work on both old and new world macs.
A suitable iso is here:
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/macallan/macppc/ofwboot.iso

Very interesting approach.  (Is it possible to re-dd the iso
afterwards, or will it override the disklabel?  I have no idea where
the disklabel is physically stored.)

Probably will, although I'm not quite sure where exactly it is either.

The disklabel I created is something like:

a: start after b, run for the rest of the disk, type 4.2BSD
b: start at 8M, run for 2G, type swap

Unfortunately, I get the exact same results with your mechanism.  This
time, I could copy the error message that appeared right after
ofwboot.xcf booted the kernel:

-----
No ADB support present, assuming USB keyboard
trap: kernel ISI by 0xff847288 (SRR1 0x40003030), lr: 0x1001bc
panic: trap
Stopped
-----

This happened right after install, with a GENERIC kernel.  I also
tried to copy the netbsd kernel from cd0a to wd0a (FFSv2, -o log) and
boot off of that.  Same problem, which makes me amused because it is
the same kernel booting just fine from the cd!

The only explanation I can imagine is that ofwboot.xcf is somehow
(That said, a quick test formatting wd0a with ffsv1 and placing a
lonely kernel in it also failed.)  Any other hypothesis?

Damn, I was going to suggest to try ffsv1, I don't know if anyone ever made ffsv2 work with the macppc boot block.

I've been doing more attempts at formatting with ffsv1 and even using
a 5.1 binary set. No luck; exact same problem.

(Back when I installed this for the first time, it was 5.0_BETA IIRC.
I had some issues with the GENERIC kernel, but none with the boot

Any chance to try a kernel from - say - 2 weeks ago? Or a 5.1 kernel?
It's been a few weeks since I messed with macppc kernels, I've been busy in Sun and SGI land lately.

have fun
Michael