Re: On-disk kernel hanging after install

On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 10:53 PM, Michael <macallan%netbsd.org@localhost> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On Apr 10, 2011, at 3:36 AM, Julio Merino wrote:
> Damn, I was going to suggest to try ffsv1, I don't know if anyone ever made
> ffsv2 work with the macppc boot block.

So I should not be bothering with ffsv2?  From a quick look at the
ofwboot code, it appears like it should be supported.

> Any chance to try a kernel from - say - 2 weeks ago? Or a 5.1 kernel?
> It's been a few weeks since I messed with macppc kernels, I've been busy in
> Sun and SGI land lately.

I already tried 5.1 kernels, both install and generic, and they fail
in the same way.

The only thing I have left to try is to build a NetBSD 5.0_BETA or
older release and try with that... my suspicion is still in
ofwboot.xcf, as this machine was running NetBSD 5.1_STABLE kernels
just fine until yesterday!  (Note that I did a quick test yesterday
with ofwboot.xcf from the 5.0 release and things didn't work out.  I
have to try further back.)

By the way: dd'ing the macppccd.iso image onto the hard disk lets the
install kernel boot just fine from the hd.  This reinforces my theory
that there is a bad interaction between ofwboot.xcf and ffsv[12].

Thanks,

--
Julio Merino / @jmmv