Re: On-disk kernel hanging after install

On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 8:36 AM, Julio Merino <jmmv%julipedia.org@localhost>
wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 2:35 AM, Michael <macallan%netbsd.org@localhost>
> wrote:
>> You can just make an iso9660 image with only ofwboot.xcf in it, dd it to the
>> first sectors of the disk, then disklabel it ( don't bother with pdisk,
>> ofwboot.xcf knows how to find and read disklabels ). Make sure your
>> partitions don't overwrite the iso. We should probably teach sysinst how to
>> do that since this method should work on both old and new world macs.
>> A suitable iso is here:
>> ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/macallan/macppc/ofwboot.iso
>
> Very interesting approach.  (Is it possible to re-dd the iso
> afterwards, or will it override the disklabel?  I have no idea where
> the disklabel is physically stored.)
>
> The disklabel I created is something like:
>
> a: start after b, run for the rest of the disk, type 4.2BSD
> b: start at 8M, run for 2G, type swap
>
> Unfortunately, I get the exact same results with your mechanism.  This
> time, I could copy the error message that appeared right after
> ofwboot.xcf booted the kernel:
>
> -----
> No ADB support present, assuming USB keyboard
> trap: kernel ISI by 0xff847288 (SRR1 0x40003030), lr: 0x1001bc
> panic: trap
> Stopped
> -----
>
> This happened right after install, with a GENERIC kernel.  I also
> tried to copy the netbsd kernel from cd0a to wd0a (FFSv2, -o log) and
> boot off of that.  Same problem, which makes me amused because it is
> the same kernel booting just fine from the cd!
>
> The only explanation I can imagine is that ofwboot.xcf is somehow
> (That said, a quick test formatting wd0a with ffsv1 and placing a
> lonely kernel in it also failed.)  Any other hypothesis?

I've been doing more attempts at formatting with ffsv1 and even using
a 5.1 binary set. No luck; exact same problem.

(Back when I installed this for the first time, it was 5.0_BETA IIRC.
I had some issues with the GENERIC kernel, but none with the boot

Julio Merino / @jmmv