Issues with Netatalk and MACE

Hello all,

I've been trying for the last day or so to get Netatalk (specifically with
Appletalk networking, for some older Macs) working properly and I'm a bit
stumped.

When I launch atalkd (/etc/rc.d/atalkd start), I get the usual business about
not being able to register the workstations because NBP registration is timing
out.

Digging a little deeper, I see on the network that I'm sending out multicast
AARP requests for my own address (let's call it 42.182 for now).  "tcpdump
-nvvvXe aarp" shows that I'm asking who-has 42.182 from 42.182.  Sadly, though,
my own machine doesn't see those requests (MACE doesn't get its outgoing
broadcasts/multicasts looped back, it seems).  If I instrument
sys/arch/macppc/dev/am79c950.c to print out every MAC address that comes across
in the Rx interrupt, I never see that frame.

So I modified sys/netatalk/aarp.c such that aarpresolve recognizes when my own
address is being requested and responds with my own MAC address.  Now I can see
(with tcpdump) the NBP requests getting sent over the interface from my own MAC
address to my own MAC address, but again, they never really seem to get picked
up.

I feel like I'm probably going about this the totally wrong way.  Does anyone
else have Netatalk with atalkd running successfully on a MACE machine?  I'm
running 5.0.2 basically stock (with a slightly modified GENERIC kernel).

- Dave