Re: Determining the appropriate boot-device for OFW 3

On Fri, 11 Jun 2010, R. Tyler Ballance wrote:

> Howdy guys, I've followed the installation steps for 5.0.2 but I'm getting
> caught up with the "Booting NetBSD exclusively" part.

Holy smokes I got it working! I found this post [1] and I borrowed some of the
OFW commands from it and crossed them with some of the information cleaned from
this old mailing list thread [2], but I've successfully booted into single-user
mode!

IIRC, this is what I did to boot properly (assuming ofwboot.xcf on the HFS
partition)

    ofw> setenv boot-device hd:,\ofwboot.xcf
    ofw> setenv boot-file hd:4,/netbsd
    ofw> setenv boot-command " hello" cr " screen" output boot

(note: hd:4 was a guess, since I remembered disklabel stating that my NetBSD
root partition was #4)

All said and done, I've successfully gotten a proper NetBSD 5.0.2 install
running on this machine!

[1]
http://blog.julipedia.org/2010/01/installing-netbsdmacppc-on-mac-mini-g4.html
[2] http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-macppc/2005/10/07/0008.html