Re: (Yet another) netbooting trouble

On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 15:15:10 +0100
Martin Husemann <martin%duskware.de@localhost> wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 14, 2010 at 02:11:42PM +0100, Hauke Fath wrote:
> > As long as the CD drive is empty, said key will not open it - MacOS does
> > not know about drives, only about volumes, and there is none. The "Open"
> > button on the drive should work just fine on an empty drive - if it
> > doesn't, your drive HW has a problem.

This doesn't match my experience with anything running MacOS X. The key
assigned to "Eject CD" (F12, if nothing else) will have the system
open/close the drive tray regardless of whether there's a disc in it or
not. Technically, the label applied (Eject CD) is misleading.

> Problem is: there is no "open" button on the drive - at least not that I
> can see. The drive is slightly hidden inside the case with a door in front
> of it (I can open that door, but no emergency eject mechanism inside).

Do you have a design where there's a little hole in the case about where
you'd expect the hardware button to be? If there is, the drive does have
a standard button that you can press by threading an uncurled paperclip
through the hole.