Re: Local boot on OFW 2.4 Beige G3?

At 1:32 PM -0500 11/30/08, Michael wrote:
>Hello,
>
>On Nov 30, 2008, at 11:18 AM, Donald Lee wrote:
>> (OFW 2.4 not working....)
>
>That's my experience as well.
>
>What you need is:
>Find an OSX install CD. Release doesn't matter, I tried 10.2 through 10.4,
>they all work. Boot the OSX CD, let it reboot, wait for the installer to come
>up ( in 10.2's case ) or the complaining ( later releases that don't support
>the G3 anymore but still install the right OF patches ), then reboot into OF
>and continue, do the usual settings and so on.
>Now it's time to try booting NetBSD. Don't even attempt it without the step
>above - it won't get you anywhere. Booting from CD will still not work but
>netboot or floppies should get you far enough to install on a harddisk and get
>it bootable.
>
>good luck
>Michael

The "boot an OS X CD" technique is very effective.  Though a little slow,
it's much faster than booting into OS 9 and running system disk.

What I'm trying to do now is replace the ROM in the machine with a ROM stick
that has OFW 2.0.x.  I have tried this in the past, and it seems to me that
I got it working.  I already have an ATA disk with NetBSD installed - used
an OFW 3 machine to install/prep the disk.

If the OFW 2.0.x ROM will allow me to boot the ATA disk, then I'm golden.
The video will probably not work, but that's OK.  It's effectively a
"headless" machine.

Thanks for your help.

Will report back.

-dgl-