Re: Local boot on OFW 2.4 Beige G3?

Hello,

On Nov 30, 2008, at 11:18 AM, Donald Lee wrote:

I'm also impressed with the improvements in the installer and the boot CD. One of the things I tried was to put the disk I want to use in an OFW 3 machine. Booting from the CD, installing to disk, and booting from that
disk is chid's play.  Cool.

OK.  That said, OFW 2.4 is a pain.

Yup. Worst Apple OF ever.

I have tried several approaches.  The one I have not tried is netboot.
Netboot for various reasons is off the table for me.  If I can't boot
locally, this machine is not very useful.

I had to netboot my beige G3 ( with OF 2.0F1 ) in order to install anything at all. No way to boot NetBSD from CD and I didn't have any floppies sitting around.

I have tried booting the CD - quite a few tries and quite a few variations
on OFW commands and settings.  From the docs, it sounds like it simply
doesn't work.

That's my experience as well.

What you need is:
Find an OSX install CD. Release doesn't matter, I tried 10.2 through 10.4, they all work. Boot the OSX CD, let it reboot, wait for the installer to come up ( in 10.2's case ) or the complaining ( later releases that don't support the G3 anymore but still install the right OF patches ), then reboot into OF and continue, do the usual settings and so on. Now it's time to try booting NetBSD. Don't even attempt it without the step above - it won't get you anywhere. Booting from CD will still not work but netboot or floppies should get you far enough to install on a harddisk and get it bootable.

good luck
Michael