Re: Local boot on OFW 2.4 Beige G3?

Hello,

On Nov 30, 2008, at 6:46 PM, Donald Lee wrote:

At 1:32 PM -0500 11/30/08, Michael wrote:
Hello,

On Nov 30, 2008, at 11:18 AM, Donald Lee wrote:
(OFW 2.4 not working....)

That's my experience as well.

What you need is:
Find an OSX install CD. Release doesn't matter, I tried 10.2 through 10.4, they all work. Boot the OSX CD, let it reboot, wait for the installer to come up ( in 10.2's case ) or the complaining ( later releases that don't support the G3 anymore but still install the right OF patches ), then reboot into OF and continue, do the usual settings and so on. Now it's time to try booting NetBSD. Don't even attempt it without the step above - it won't get you anywhere. Booting from CD will still not work but netboot or floppies should get you far enough to install on a harddisk and get it bootable.

good luck
Michael

The "boot an OS X CD" technique is very effective. Though a little slow,
it's much faster than booting into OS 9 and running system disk.

Well, you don't really need to wait till the OSX installer is up - when the machine reboots from the CD the patches are installed. Takes a few seconds on my G3. Waiting for the installer just verifies that the patches work.

What I'm trying to do now is replace the ROM in the machine with a ROM stick that has OFW 2.0.x. I have tried this in the past, and it seems to me that I got it working. I already have an ATA disk with NetBSD installed - used
an OFW 3 machine to install/prep the disk.

OF3 boots using the ofwboot.xcf-in-a-HFS-partition method which may or may not work on older OF versions. Up to 2.x the partition zero way should work better ( it sure does on my OF2 boxes )

If the OFW 2.0.x ROM will allow me to boot the ATA disk, then I'm golden.

No idea if there's an OF 2.0.1 for the G3 ( that's what my PB3400c has - no clue if it supports anything non-ohare ). OF 2.0F1 in my G3 won't boot from anything IDE without OSX patches ( well, except MacOS but that's booting via /AAPL,ROM, not really OF ).

The video will probably not work, but that's OK. It's effectively a "headless" machine.

The onboard video chip is a 3D Rage II, well supported by machfb and X.

have fun
Michael