Port-i386 archive

Re: Intel DG33FB wm(4) not working after BIOS update

Brad du Plessis wrote:
An update on this; having scratched through the wm(4) driver, I've found that in the checksum validation routine it adds up the first 64 16-bit values in the EEPROM and it expects the sum to be 0xBABA. Well, on 5 of the 9 motherboards I've applied the BIOS update to, the calculated sum of these 64 16-bit values is 0x3ABA. I hacked it to accept this as a possible checksum too and it seems to have read the ethernet address correctly and the device seems to work okay. Not sure if this is going to cause any other problems.

It turns out that on Windows the Intel driver diagnostics pick up the checksum as corrupted too (the driver obviously ignores it). There is a side effect here too, the device will only auto-negotiate to 10Mb/s. Forcing it to 1Gb/s results in the device not working at all. (Windows has the same issue with the link negotiation).

Looks like its just a BIOS issue then, sorry for the noise.

Brad