Port-i386 archive

Re: Intel DG33FB wm(4) not working after BIOS update

Brad du Plessis wrote:

This what I did on my Intel DG33FB motherboard:

- wm(4) device working fine on BIOS rev. 0348
- updated my motherboard BIOS rev. from 0348 to 0484
- on NetBSD 4.0_STABLE on bootup I get the following:

wm0 at pci0 dev 25 function 0: 82801I (C) LAN Controller, rev. 2
wm0: interrupting at ioapic0 pin 20 (irq 9)
wm0: PCI-Express bus
wm0: No EEPROM
wm0: unable to read Ethernet address

- reflash BIOS 0484, same issue
- did a recovery downgrade back to BIOS 0348, same issue
- install Windows XP, MAC is read fine, device works fine
- retry NetBSD 4.0_STABLE in the hope that the Windows driver has fixed it, same problem
- retry Windows XP, still works fine
- retry NetBSD 4.0_STABLE, same problem

This has got me confused, I originally thought that the BIOS update was solely responsible for the problem, but obviously the fact that it still works in Windows blows that theory. Has anyone got any idea?

An update on this; having scratched through the wm(4) driver, I've found that in the checksum validation routine it adds up the first 64 16-bit values in the EEPROM and it expects the sum to be 0xBABA. Well, on 5 of the 9 motherboards I've applied the BIOS update to, the calculated sum of these 64 16-bit values is 0x3ABA. I hacked it to accept this as a possible checksum too and it seems to have read the ethernet address correctly and the device seems to work okay. Not sure if this is going to cause any other problems.

Brad