Re: Replacement disk for RaQ 2

On Fri, 27 Aug 2010 19:46:03 -0500
Mike Hebel <nimitz%nimitzbrood.com@localhost> wrote:

> On Aug 27, 2010, at 4:04 PM 8/27/10, George Harvey wrote:
>
> > I've got a RaQ 2 that I'm planning to use for NetBSD but the original
> > disk is only 3.2GB so I'm looking to replace it with something a bit
> > larger. I'm aware of the power supply limitations, and the 137GB
> > capacity limit, so I'm looking for a low-power disk in the 80-120GB
> > range.
>
> Umm...what 137GB limit?

Looking around the 'net for information about Cobalt boxes, I came
across statements along the lines of "all Cobalt systems used LBA24 disk
controllers" so I assumed that would limit the maximum disk capacity on
my RaQ 2. I wasn't aware that the NetBSD/Cobalt boot loader supported
LBA48 before I read Izumi's response in this thread. Knowing that
larger disks should work opens up some new possibilities for how I
might use the box.

I've burnt a copy of the 5.0.2 restore CD so my next step will be to
try an install on a WD Caviar 80GB drive. This is the one that wouldn't
boot on my Qube 3 so I'm curious to see what happens on the RaQ 2.

George