Re: scsi freezing problem with NetBSD current

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 3:12 AM, David Brownlee <abs%netbsd.org@localhost>
wrote:

>        Ah, so presumably both Falcon and TT030 can DMA to ST-ram only?
>        Assuming so, and also assuming that NetBSD is working fine for
>        scsi on the TT030, we are in one of:
>        - Falcon with TT ram needs the same treatment as TT030 and the
>          code is treating them differently
>        - Falcon with TT ram needs different treatment to TT030 and the
>          code is treating them the same
>        - Falcon with TT ram needs different treatment to TT030 and the
>          code is treating them differently but in a different way :)
>
>        OK, that was stating the obvious, but sometimes that helps...
>        Its probably worth taking a pass through the code looking
>        for places where it treats the Falcon and TT030 differently
>        - there may be a case where the Falcon case is shortcircuiting
>        a check for TT-ram because its assuming it never has any.

Differences at least are that TT is able to use DMA to TT-ram (NO_TTRAM_DMA
undefined at atari5380.c), but with Falcon only DMA to ST-ram is enabled: in
falcon_wrong_dma_range, memory range is always checked regardless of
NO_TTRAM_DMA.

>> Yes, here are links to dmesg files:
>> http://koti.welho.com/tmakinen/atari/CT63-netbsd-dmesg
>> http://koti.welho.com/tmakinen/atari/Falcon-netbsd-dmesg
>
>        Great - thats nice and clear, ST-ram low, TT-ram >= 0x01000000
>
>        CT63 68060:
>            pmap_init:  0: 0060a000 - 00dd4000 (   8167424)
>            pmap_init:  1: 01000000 - 20eb2000 ( 543670272)
>            total memory = 524 MB
>
>        Falcon 68030:
>            pmap_init:  0: 00212000 - 00dd2000 (  12320768)
>            total memory = 14336 KB
>
>        Did you have to remove/disable 4MB of RAM for the CT63 case?
>        Its probably not relevant, just curious.

Hmm... I don't know why that 4MB of ST-ram is lost. NetBSD is launched from
TOS with loadbsd.ttp and computer is booted with exactly same settings in both
cases.

>> NetBSD current kernel with DEBUG enabled pmap.c:
>>
>> http://koti.welho.com/tmakinen/atari/netbsd-current-atari-pmap_DEBUG-BOOT-20081029.gz
>
>        Great - David, could you test? :)
>
>>>       As an aside - NetBSD is always looking for more developers on
>>>       the less mainstream platforms :)
>>
>> Well, I'm new to NetBSD, but I'm happy to offer any help I can :)
>
>        Fixing the scsi bug has been an *excellent* way to start! :)

Thanks :)

>        There are plenty of different areas in which developers can help
>
>        - Kernel: Fixing bugs, supporting new hardware (in the atari case
>          that would be the NETUSBEE, which probably involves building
>          one from the plans available, so thats quite a project!),
>          performance tuning, or just updating the port to some of the
>          newer MI (machine independent) features - such as switching the
>          display, keyboard and mouse to wscons with virtual terminals
>
>        - Installer: for recent versions of NetBSD/atari the installer
>          doesn't work correctly and needs manual fixups to get the
>          installed system working. Ideally this needs someone with
>          the skill to fix it _and_ a machine on which they can see
>          the issue...
>
>        - X: I don't know if the Atari X server uses the blitter. If not,
>          that could be a nice speed boost (Thoughits not going to help
>          the TT030 users)
>
>        - Userland/pkgsrc: A Falcon with a CT63 and a chunk of memory
>          could probably run firefox (albeit not that fast :), but as
>          firefox needs some C++ glue for each architecture, and I don't
>          think anyone ever wrote this for gcc4 and NetBSD/m68k.
>
>        - Documentation/help pages - Its always easier for someone else
>          to get a system up and running if someone else has done it first
>          and left a trail to follow
>
>        Its a question of picking something that interests you and
>        running with it. After all, this stuff is supposed to be
>        fun (and satisfying)

Lots of nice things to do with NetBSD/Atari port :) In my view working
installer would be _very_ good thing for now. I'm sure that more people will
use NetBSD if installation of latest version is possible. NetBSD is very
tempting alternative OS for CT60/63 boosted Falcons :)

-Tuomo