Re: HOWTO for RPi4 and -current?

On Sat, Aug 06, 2022 at 01:42:55PM +0530, Mayuresh wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 11, 2021 at 08:22:13AM -0000, Michael van Elst wrote:
> > There are versions of ffmpeg (in Raspian) that include such code
> > and that talk to the firmware just like omxplayer. You could
> > try to make this work with NetBSD.
>
> Key question is, how do I play videos without irking the device (basically
> without invoking lightening bolt, thermometer etc.)

"lightening bolt" means, you have an issue with the power supply,
either too weak, or there is an unsuitable USB cable to the RPI.

"thermometer" means, you need to cool the CPU somehow. You either need
a LARGE heat sink (or something like the FliRC case that acts as one)
and/or a fan.

> omxplayer is not available on aarch64, hence on RPI4. Above post by
> Michael last year suggested one could try ffmpeg with rpi specific
> acceleration.

That would still require you to talk to the firmware (like omxplayer
does) and that is missing for aarch64.

The rest of the world tends to ignore the firmware mostly and tries
to talk directly to the GPU, but these drivers haven't been "ported"
yet to NetBSD.

Greetings,
--
                                Michael van Elst