Re: Booting BeagleBone Enhanced (update u-boot)

On Wed, 29 Jun 2022 21:39:42 -0600
Brook Milligan <brook%nmsu.edu@localhost> wrote:

> > On Jun 19, 2022, at 8:35 AM, Brook Milligan <brook%nmsu.edu@localhost> wrote:
> >
> > I am trying to boot a SanCloud BeagleBone Enhanced board (should be mostly same as BeagleBone Black) and running into problems.
>
> So far, I have heard no response to my inquiries about booting a
> Beaglebone [1] and no specific direction on debugging bootarm.efi [2].
> I have also heard no specific examples of anyone successfully booting
> a Beaglebone Black with NetBSD, although some have indicated that it
> is (has been?) possible.

I have a Beaglebone Black currently running NetBSD 9.2. It boots without
special measures (now that everything is set up). IIRC, I used a stock
earmv7hf gzimg written to an SD card, installed the
u-boot-beagleboneblack package and copied the MLO and u-boot.img files
from that to the msdos /boot (ld0e). Since this is on an SD card, I
also had to clear the active flag from the boot partition on the
built-in disk (ld1).

Last I checked (9.0?), it was still possible to get it to boot without
the u-boot-beagleboneblack package, although that takes writing a custom
uEnv.txt and depends on the boot loader on the built-in disk.

> I have, however, determined that u-boot v2022.04 will boot a current
> kernel via UEFI on both BBB and BBE boards.

Oooh.

> Consequently, I propose to update the sysutils/u-boot-beagleboneblack
> package to that version, which changes the config file to
> am335x_evm_defconfig.
>
> I am still eager for specific reports of success or failure from those
> who have any of these boards and are willing to test recent kernels
> with an updated u-boot.  I am also eager for feedback on the proposed
> update.

I'm in favor of UEFI. I don't think I'd have time to get into testing
for the forseeable future.