Re: How to install the new kernel image?

Tom Ivar Helbekkmo <tih%hamartun.priv.no@localhost> writes:

> Your booting infrastructure is newer, though.  I should probably try
> updating those files, and see if that helps.

I updated to the latest firmware files in -current.  They boot my kernel
from October just fine, but not a current one.  There is a difference,
though: the old firmware just sat with the rainbow screen when it tried
to boot the new kernel, while the new firmware shows a black screen.  My
monitor is slow to wake up, so something may have happened before that,
of course.

Also, it finally dawned on me why it seemed that the kernel from October
would randomly hang while ifconfig'ing the built in network interface:
turns out it hung if nothing else was connected to USB at the time, but
worked just fine each time I had a keyboard attached.  I now have a WiFi
stick that I happened to have handy plugged into the Pi, and the network
i/f comes up reliably.  :)

-tih
--
Most people who graduate with CS degrees don't understand the significance
of Lisp.  Lisp is the most important idea in computer science.  --Alan Kay