Re: How to install the new kernel image?

Nick Hudson <nick.hudson%gmx.co.uk@localhost> writes:

> On 01/01/2018 08:30, Tom Ivar Helbekkmo wrote:
>
>> Your booting infrastructure is newer, though.  I should probably try
>> updating those files, and see if that helps.
>
> I've been scratching my head about the boot problems for *some* boards.
> I seem to have found
> one that can't boot the same image as all my other RPIs and was going to
> try newer firmware.  If
> all else fails I think we might need to raise a firmware issue and get
> help that way.
>
> Nick

This is just a data point statement...

I upgraded a number of Raspberry PI devices from 7.99.56 to 8.99.3 a
short while ago.  This would have included a RPI0, RPI2, and a number of
RPI3 devices.  All of then required newer bootcode*, fixup*, and start*
files to boot the 8.99.3 kernel.  I never investigated why or really
worried very much about it.  However, it was very clear that the older
files would not in any way, shape or form, boot the newer kernel.

--
Brad Spencer - brad%anduin.eldar.org@localhost - KC8VKS
http://anduin.eldar.org  - & -  http://anduin.ipv6.eldar.org [IPv6 only]