Re: Native NetBSD RDB editing (Was: NetBSD/amiga sysinst)

abs%absd.org@localhost (David Brownlee) writes:

>On Sun, 26 Feb 2023 at 22:23, Michael van Elst <mlelstv%serpens.de@localhost> wrote:
>>
>> abs%netbsd.org@localhost (David Brownlee) writes:
>>
>> >- Is there a NetBSD native tool for creating RDB data and writing
>> >NetBSD/amiga bootblocks
>>
>> Not in-tree.
>>
>> http://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/mlelstv/rdbedit.tgz.

>Excellent - one assumes a nice friendly BSD licence? :)

>Would it be reasonable to import - helpful for NetBSD/amiga users

The user interface is 'ed style', the intention was to make it
scriptable like this (-F "$image" is for a regular file, -s starts
RDB on block 2):

rdbedit -F -i -e -s 2 "$image"  << EOF
v$vendor
p$product
c0 4000
p3
fbootable
nroot
tNBR\007
o16
p10
c0 4000
p4
nswap
tNBS\001
o16
p0
c0 0
p5
nother
.
EOF

and create a disklabel on sector 1 to be used by e.g. NetBSD/amd64:

rdbedit -F -t "$image" \
| disklabel -w -F -f /dev/fd/0 "$image" hardfile "$product"

>> >- Can you write a disk image referring to a smaller disk onto a disk
>> >and later adjust it to expand to the full disk
>>
>> Same as with other archs. Adjust partition, resize filesystem while
>> read-only and reboot immediately.

>Apologies - I phrased the question badly. Can an RDB format disk image
>be written to a smaller disk, and then rdb tools (native and NetBSD)
>used to adjust the partition sizes to effectively map the remaining
>space (I assume the answer is also yes :)

You can change the RDB to reflect the new sizes. One caveat, RDB sizes
disks and partitions in 'cylinder' units, so everything has to be a
multiple of a 'cylinder'.