Re: How to cross compile optimized for Amiga with 68060?

> Datum: Sat, 3 Jan 2009 09:49:19 +0100
> Von: Ignatios Souvatzis <is%netbsd.org@localhost>
> CC: port-amiga%NetBSD.org@localhost
> Betreff: Re: How to cross compile optimized for Amiga with 68060?

> On Fri, Jan 02, 2009 at 11:40:56PM +0100, Leonard Schmidt wrote:
> > Never mind, I found it myself:
> >
> > Creating /etc/mk.conf containing this two lines did the job:
> > COPTS+= -O2 -m68060 -Wa,-m68060, -m68851
> > M68060=YES
> >
> > After compiling and installing the sets, vmstat -i reports no
> > 060intemu events but still 118 060fpiemu events. That's odd, I did
> > expect no 060fpemu events too, but there are still some 68882 code
> > somewhere instead of 68060FPU code only. At first glance, it seems
> > that it is located in the kernel and not in the user land binaries.
>
> AFAIR, this is impossible - the kernel does NO fpu operations other
> than those that are needed to save or restore FPU context at process
> switch time.
>
> Hm, those are fpiemu for sure - and not fpdemu or fpeaemu?
>
> OTOH - a tight loop of fpiemu-intensive code performs at about
> 78000 instructions/second, afair, so I wouldn't worry too much if
> it's only 118/second.
>
> Regards,
>       -is

Thanks for the fast response Ignatios. I've started vmstat right after
the init process and since neither init nor vmstat executes fpu code
I suspected the kernel. But you are right there should be no fpu
code there since it's compiled with -msoft-float. Yes, vmstat reports
fpiemu and did not report any fpdemu or fpeaemu yet, even after
running netbsd over night compiling packages and running several
stuff.

As for me, netbsd is running better now than with the standard 030
binaries and I'm not really worried about the remaining fpiemu hits.
I was just curious if I could produce a netbsd for the 060 only and
omit the M060SP software support from the kernel.

--
Sensationsangebot verlängert: GMX FreeDSL - Telefonanschluss + DSL
für nur 16,37 Euro/mtl.!* http://dsl.gmx.de/?ac=OM.AD.PD003K1308T4569a