Re: how do I disable IPv6?

At Tue, 7 Jan 2020 06:47:40 -0700, Andy Ruhl <acruhl%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
Subject: Re: how do I disable IPv6?

> Not sure what you mean by "unnecessary" part, but IPv6 is not
> unnecessary to me. These arguments you are making are the usual FUD
> resistance to IPv6 I think. I won't say there's no merit to them but I
> think it's not unique to IPv6, this stuff always exists. You would
> have to explain the confusion part to me, that could get interesting.

I don't mean to show resistance to IPv6 -- it's just that I cannot use
it now (without jumping through excessive hoops and/or increasing my
costs, and/or decreasing the quality of my internet connection), and I
won't need to use it for the foreseeable future (which could be as much
as a decade away, literally, if I don't move out of my ISP's service
region).  Everything I need and use works just fine without IPv6 and
will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

I've personally been confused by IPv6 when I've had some devices appear
to do things that I didn't expect them to be able to do; mostly as I
recall it usually had to do with some devices auto-configuring IPv6 but
then not being able to reach the Internet.  Anecdotally I've heard tell
of similar frustrations.  In all cases I've heard of if those involved
were not sys-admins or better then additional expert help would have
been required to sort out the issues.

The risks come from ignoring it and not paying attention to it when it
is not needed or used.  I'd rather remove the unnecessary barn door and
re-build the wall in its place instead of hoping I've remembered to
close and lock it and make sure others can't use it without permission.

So, it's all good and wonderful that IPv6 works well for others, but for
me things work best and are safer without it even being in my kernels
and tools.

Kelowna, BC     +1 250 762-7675           RoboHack <woods%robohack.ca@localhost>