Re: library versions in pkgsrc binaries

You wrote:

> steve%prd.co.uk@localhost (Steve Blinkhorn) writes:
>
> [see comment below about X11 sets!]
>
>snip<
>

> But in your case, I wonder if you have the X11 sets installed.   What's
> in /usr/X11R7/lib/libfreetype*?

libfreetype.so.17.4.11

> A further workaround is to fetch the libraries with older sonames from a
> previous release, and install just them.   Keep in mind that you really
> need to use a consistent set of binary packges, in terms of being built
> against the same base OS and from the same pkgsrc tree.

Where would I find these as standalone files?  Or are you saying
dowload and unpack the whole release?

On the more general point you made about building pkgsrc locally, my
experience has been that it is not the disk space or CPU cycles that
cause issues so much as speed of downloads during the build process,
occasional unresolved dependencies, and the frequent need for manual
intervention.   It's a big distraction from the day job.   For NetBSD
ftp download sites, the fastest I have found is in the Netherlands
at 3.5 MiB/sec (there doesn't seem to be one in the UK, and the Irish
mirror gives me less than 1 MiB/sec).  This is on a Gigabit link, where
the ping transit time is less than 8ms.  I use my remote servers for
this kind of thing because of their faster connections.

--
Steve Blinkhorn <steve%prd.co.uk@localhost>