Re: library versions in pkgsrc binaries

steve%prd.co.uk@localhost (Steve Blinkhorn) writes:

>> A further workaround is to fetch the libraries with older sonames from a
>> previous release, and install just them.   Keep in mind that you really
>> need to use a consistent set of binary packges, in terms of being built
>> against the same base OS and from the same pkgsrc tree.
>
> Where would I find these as standalone files?  Or are you saying
> dowload and unpack the whole release?

So your problem is that your system is too old, not that it's too new.
The right solution is to upgrade.  But if you need older libraries, yes
unpack the entire release (someplace other than /!) and then grab the
.so files you need and hand install them.

> On the more general point you made about building pkgsrc locally, my
> experience has been that it is not the disk space or CPU cycles that
> cause issues so much as speed of downloads during the build process,
> occasional unresolved dependencies, and the frequent need for manual
> intervention.   It's a big distraction from the day job.   For NetBSD
> ftp download sites, the fastest I have found is in the Netherlands
> at 3.5 MiB/sec (there doesn't seem to be one in the UK, and the Irish
> mirror gives me less than 1 MiB/sec).  This is on a Gigabit link, where
> the ping transit time is less than 8ms.  I use my remote servers for
> this kind of thing because of their faster connections.

It is somewhat better lately, especially if you are building things that
don't depend on difficult languages like hasekll or rust, and especially
if you are at more or less netbsd-8 or later.

Also, if you check out a quarterly stable branch, instead of head,
things tend to work much better.

1 MiB/s doesn't really sound terrible to me, as you don't need to watch.
You can do "make fetch-list | sh" and leave it overnight.  Even 'make
package-install" will recurse and fetch when needed.  But patience and
speed is an individual preference,