Re: update 8.0_RC1->8.0 (was: library versions in pkgsrc binaries)

You wrote:

> > And if I install the 8.0 sets remotely, I assume this means in single-user
> > mode using remote console access.
> That's the safest way. Doing it in multi-user mode may work, too.
> Don't forget the p key when un-tar-ing the sets.
>
> > I have in the past [...] had bad experiences with configuration files
> > being overwritten
> If you don't accidently extract the etc set, no.
>
> > and the need for extensive fixing to get back to a fully working system.
> Just postinstall/etcupdate on the new etc set.
> If you need to do this on a set of machines and get tired of answering the same questions over and over again, I have a patch to add record/replay support to etcupdate.

Sounds useful.  Yes, I have eight machines running NetBSD, and
updating to a new release can be a real chore.

--
Steve Blinkhorn <steve%prd.co.uk@localhost>

This email is for the addressee only.   If you are not the addressee
you should immediately delete this email from your system(s) and
inform us.   It may contain information that is confidential or
otherwise privileged, and should not be copied or redistributed to
recipients not originally specified as addressees without permission.

S F Blinkhorn MA PhD CPsychol FBPsS, Managing Director,
Psychometric Research & Development Ltd.
PO Box 1143, St Albans, Herts, AL1 9UT, UK
Registered in England No. 1909571
Registered Office: Verulam Point, Station Way, St Albans, Herts, AL1 5HE
Phone: +44 (0)1727 841455
http://www.prd.co.uk