Port-amd64 archive

Re: port-amd64/47782 - ifconfig SIOCSIFMEDIA error with bge

On May 1, 2013, at 7:51 PM, Masanobu SAITOH wrote:

> (2013/05/02 2:47), Stephen M. Jones wrote:
>> Just a quick follow up to port-amd64/47782
>> I did a fresh install on several SuperMicro amd64 servers with bge ethernet
>> interfaces and configured both bge's in an acceptable fashion.  I then clean
>> booted the servers 865 times to gather some stats.
>> Background:  I'm using NetBSD ukato 6.0.1 NetBSD 6.0.1 (GENERIC) amd64.  I
>> was using a custom kernel with bge/brgphy, but thought for this test using
>> generic would be best.
>> ifconfig.bge0:
>> up
>> media autoselect
>> netmask 0xffffff00 media autoselect
>> ifconfig.bge1:
>> up
>> media autoselect
>> netmask 0xffffff00 media autoselect
>> bge1 always had its interface successfully configured.  However, bge0
>> failed with an ifconfig: SIOCSIFMEDIA: Invalid argument 343 times, but was
>> successful 522 times (total of 865 clean boots).
>> For media and mediaopts I did implicitly set those, but still ran into issues
>> with bge0 failing iwth a SIOCSIFMEDIA.  When the interface is in this state,
>> you cannot even do a simple ifconfig bge0 to bring the interface
>> up even by doing a ksh /etc/rc.d/network stop first.  I believe that this
>> is likely a serious bug.  Originally I thought that this may be an autoneg
>> issue with the switch, but simple ifconfigs are failing without a reboot.
>> However, if I'm overlooking something that has changed between NetBSD 4.0.1
>> and 6.x, please feel free to stick my nose in it.
> Could you show me the full dmesg of the machine with BGE_DEBUG option?

Masa has clarified this as an issue specific the IPMI for the onboard devices
on the
H8SSL (SuperMicro) and likely other boards.  I saw this behavior in 5.x testing
as well,
but it looks like it has been addressed in -current.  Running 6.99.19 on the
same host
showed the bge driver to be robust.  If possible, it would be great to have the
bge code, if it is not too extensive of a change, in the pending release of

Thank you for your clarification and help with this issue.