Re: port-amd64/47782 - ifconfig SIOCSIFMEDIA error with bge

(2013/05/02 2:47), Stephen M. Jones wrote:
Just a quick follow up to port-amd64/47782

I did a fresh install on several SuperMicro amd64 servers with bge ethernet
interfaces and configured both bge's in an acceptable fashion.  I then clean
booted the servers 865 times to gather some stats.

Background:  I'm using NetBSD ukato 6.0.1 NetBSD 6.0.1 (GENERIC) amd64.  I
was using a custom kernel with bge/brgphy, but thought for this test using
generic would be best.

ifconfig.bge0:
up
media autoselect
192.94.73.7 netmask 0xffffff00 media autoselect

ifconfig.bge1:
up
media autoselect
10.0.0.7 netmask 0xffffff00 media autoselect

bge1 always had its interface successfully configured.  However, bge0
failed with an ifconfig: SIOCSIFMEDIA: Invalid argument 343 times, but was
successful 522 times (total of 865 clean boots).

For media and mediaopts I did implicitly set those, but still ran into issues
with bge0 failing iwth a SIOCSIFMEDIA.  When the interface is in this state,
you cannot even do a simple ifconfig bge0 192.94.73.7 to bring the interface
up even by doing a ksh /etc/rc.d/network stop first.  I believe that this
is likely a serious bug.  Originally I thought that this may be an autoneg
issue with the switch, but simple ifconfigs are failing without a reboot.

However, if I'm overlooking something that has changed between NetBSD 4.0.1
and 6.x, please feel free to stick my nose in it.

 Could you show me the full dmesg of the machine with BGE_DEBUG option?

                SAITOH Masanobu (msaitoh%execsw.org@localhost
                                 msaitoh%netbsd.org@localhost)