Port-acorn32 archive

Re: NetBSD4 INSTALL kernel fails to boot on A7000

On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 10:19 AM, Chris Gilbert <chris%dokein.co.uk@localhost>
> Peter Howkins wrote:
>> Hello,
>>  I'm attempting to boot the INSTALL kernel from
>> ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-4.0/acorn32/installation/kernel/
>> and get the following

<snip kernel error>

> I wonder (as the kernel is 3.8MB) if when booted it passes a 4MB limit.
> Could you try the latest bootloader?  I did some work on it recently,
> and it might have fixed this issue.  Note that a 4.x kernel should work
> with it.
> ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-daily/HEAD/200810060002Z/acorn32/installation/misc/

I tried this btNetBSD with the above install kernel, and it failed in
the same way.

However I tried the InstKern inside the !btNetBSD archive and it worked [1]
My previous attempts with the InstKern from the 3.1 and 4.0 !btNetBSD
both failed.
They'd load, then instead of dropping to a NetBSD screen, would reboot the box.

[1] Well booted, I started stepping through the install steps and got a error
on the disc formatting stage (newfs), but I might be able to work past that,
but regardless I'll get another photo of it for you.

ps. I like that the new install kernel in the daily dir runs at
640x480 @ 60 Hz. the previous
install and running kernels ran at 85Hz making finding a suitable
monitor much more difficult, and ruled out most LCD panels.