Re: mktool support for fetch

On Sat, Oct 05, 2024 at 06:05:31PM +0000, pin wrote:
> On Saturday, October 5th, 2024 at 7:29 PM, nia <nia%NetBSD.org@localhost> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Oct 05, 2024 at 03:12:12PM +0000, pin wrote:
> >
> > > Where is democracy when the majority votes yes and the result is still no?
> >

> > Not every form of democracy is majoritarian - there are consent-based
> > models that use vetos in wide use in collectives like ours.
>
> You mean your vote counts more than others?
> That's called a dictatorship.
>
> Let's vote and let everyone's voice be heard.
> I'll be the first to accept the decision if the majority says so.

It's unfortunate that a pkgsrc-dev doesn't seem to exist because one
of the problems is that guys reading this list---starting by me---have
a "right to vote" strictly equal to zero because they are users and do
not contribute whether code to the technical infrastructure
(compilation, installation) or by adding or maintaining packages.

So with my example, you see someone who has absolutely no rights to
voice something about the problem, and this is absolutely fair.
("democracy" is built from "demo": the people belonging to the same
group; users belong not to the same group as developers; so it is
called "democracy" when one starts by defining who are the "people"
concerned ;-)

And, even in private contracts, there are cases that require unanimity
of the members to change things, specially for changes that affect
long term and that are not considered just "implementation details".

And to take an example of "sustainability" in the software world, I'm
working a lot with people doing CAD. They generally insist on sending
AutoDesk DWG files. I've kept repeating (it's mainly 2D), transfer DXF
files because DXF is "opened", at least described. Suddenly, ODA
association started to offer a free tool to convert whatever version
of DWG, including brand new one, to whatever version of DXF. Problem
seemed solved... But in September 2024, without announcing something,
the tool was not free to download anymore... Back to square one...

FWIW,
--
        Thierry Laronde <tlaronde +AT+ kergis +dot+ com>
                     http://www.kergis.com/