Re: mktool support for fetch

At Sat, 05 Oct 2024 11:00:55 -0400, Greg Troxel <gdt%lexort.com@localhost> wrote:
Subject: Re: mktool support for fetch

> It's a group decision that nonportable solution are not acceptable, and
> it is a greater deviation from portable practice, compared to just
> setting a variable.  But really the big point is to declare that pkgsrc
> infrastructure has to be portable.

Indeed.

> (There is also pkglint, but it seems that runs most places, rather than
> only on a restricted set.  I'm ok with things that work except on vax,
> for instance.  go has a much better track record of being widely
> available without grief.  But I'm not sure it's really portable enough.)

I'm also "violently" anti-Rust.  I can appreciate that some folks find
it refreshing, but it'll never be that for me.  Go is also one of the
languages I would very much rather prefer.

That of course is entirely separate from whether or not something
written in Rust can be portable (enough).

I think I would say that Go is still a couple of orders more portable
than Rust, as well as being far more well defined and stable, but I
agree that may still not be really portable "enough".

A _much_ safer, _far_ simpler, just-as-fast, language that's still as
entirely as portable as C is V:  https://vlang.io/

    V is very similar to Go.  If you know Go, you already know 80% of V.

Kelowna, BC     +1 250 762-7675           RoboHack <woods%robohack.ca@localhost>