Re: pkgsrc-wip/sndio adopting request

On Fri, Aug 16, 2024 at 11:51 AM nia <nia%netbsd.org@localhost> wrote:

> I don't have any problem with sndio being imported into
> the main pkgsrc branch (assuming the package is high
> quality), but I am cautious of it being used as a default.
>
> Just like I hope that no new packages are being imported
> using alsa/pulseaudio on NetBSD due to lack of other options,
> I would hope that no new packages are being imported
> that use sndio by default on NetBSD.

Well, I'm just playing with sndio as an audio backend to chromium. Now
pkgsrc-wip/chromium uses pulseaudio, but I would like to check how it
works with sndio. However I understand your position on the topic.
Sadly chromium supports only alsa and pulseaudio, which is available
on NetBSD as well. @rnagy from OpenBSD made another option, this is
the sndio backend (upstream not merged). I checked his sndio code
(chromium/media/audio/sndio/*) and I think it isn't hopeless to make
native NetBSD audio backend to chromium, but not for me... I'm lacking
qualities for this :(

> I'd rather get an email asking if I can write some code.

If you have some time and motivation to work on this, that would be wonderful.

Regards,
kikadf