Re: devel/got-portable: build failure on Darwin, if ossp-uuid is linked

On 23/07/07 10:21AM, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 06, 2023 at 07:11:53PM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
> > Paolo Vincenzo Olivo <vins%NetBSD.org@localhost> writes:
> >
> > > Understood; at this point I see no reason to not rely on libuuid on
> > > macOS too, instead of maintaining an additional patch, be it trivial.
> > > Apparently libuuid is not available on macOS via Homebrew, while OSSP
> > > uuid is: a very likely reason for the got-portable README to recommend
> > > ossp-uuid as dependency on macOS in place of libuuid.
> > > I'll push the change to the package Makefile.
> >
> > If libuuid is ok, then I wonder why not use it everywhere?  It feels a
> > bit icky  and contrary to the pkgsrc way to change the build based on OS
> > when not absolutely necessary.   And, it seems worth an upstream bug
> > report that they recommend a library which clashes with the operating
> > system.
>
> There are two different "UUID" interfaces around. NetBSD has one based
> on older standard, Ext2 pushed for a different variation of the same
> theme. Some programs support both, many Linuxware only the Ext2 variant.
>
> Joerg

I see; in any case, I'm going to notify the maintainer of the portable
version of got by linking thus thread.
By switching the macOS build to libuuid, now all target OSs rely on
libuuid (pkgsrc's or built-in).

--
PVO | https://retrobsd.ddns.net