Re: firefox-112

Taylor R Campbell <campbell+netbsd-pkgsrc-users%mumble.net@localhost> writes:

> For those not following in gnats, we suspect we have found the issue
> causing crashes and fixed it in HEAD, to be pulled up to netbsd-10
> soon.
>
> The two underlying issues were:
>
> 1. a bug in ld.elf_so in handling Mesa's abuse of the initial-exec
>    model of thread-local storage variables with dlopen (detailed in
>    https://gnats.netbsd.org/50277)
>
> 2. a `massive kludge' in Mesa that abused the precise nature of
>    ld.elf_so's bug to make it halfway work in some cases (reproducer
>    in https://gnats.netbsd.org/57445, including why it seemed to work
>    halfway before, why that may have changed, and why the LD_PRELOAD
>    hack worked around it)

Wow, thanks for digging in and finding this.

You mentioned pulled up to 10, and I wonder

  is it possible/reasonable to pull this up to 9?

  if this isn't pulled up to 9, should we just announce that pkgsrc not
  only no longer supports 8, but also doesn't support 9, stop builds,
  and do builds for 10 only?  (There's 10% serious in that.)