Re: How to get pkgsrc to search pkgsrc/packages/All for dependencies ?

Jonathan Perkin <jperkin%joyent.com@localhost> writes:

> * On 2022-01-06 at 12:44 GMT, Rhialto wrote:
>
>>Plain pkgsrc (without pkgin or so) downloading binary packages? Is that
>>new? PACKAGES does still default to ${PKGSRCDIR}/packages, doesn't it?
>>(I found that in ../../mk/bsd.prefs.mk) At least it never downloads
>>packages for me, unless I use pkgin and tell it where to download
>>from...
>
> Unfortunately BINPKG_SITES is set by default on a bunch of OS,
> including NetBSD, and has been ~forever.
>
> This is almost certainly wrong in my opinion, or at the very least
> will cause confusion when users try to build software with alternative
> options to those chosen by the upstream packages (why else would you
> be building manually?)

I think it's wrong too.  I was about to suggest a new target like
bin-install but only local.  However, it makes sense (Joerg's POLA
point) that building from pkgsrc, by default, even with non-default
targets, would be local only.

So what do people think about not setting BINPKG_SITES by default, as a
bug fix?  Is there anybody who would be bothered?

If people are bothered, maybe

  bin-install: local only
  bin-net-install: local first, then BINPKG_SITES

or PKGSRC_BIN_INSTALL NET to default BINKPK_SITES.

But as I see it, if you want binary packages from the net you use pkgin,
and if you want to build you use pkgsrc.   I count "reusing the package
you build" as part of "build".