Re: How to get pkgsrc to search pkgsrc/packages/All for dependencies ?

On Thu 06 Jan 2022 at 11:14:47 +0100, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 05, 2022 at 10:42:32PM +0100, Rhialto wrote:
> > On Wed 05 Jan 2022 at 03:27:31 +0100, Roland Illig wrote:
> > > https://www.netbsd.org/docs/pkgsrc/build.html#build.helpful-targets
> > > lists the helpful "bin-install",
> >
> > Wouldn't it make sense to do use that target by default? It's probably
> > more often wanted than a rebuild from source.
>
> By default it would end up downloading packages which is both POLA and
> potentially harmful when options are set in mk.conf.

Plain pkgsrc (without pkgin or so) downloading binary packages? Is that
new? PACKAGES does still default to ${PKGSRCDIR}/packages, doesn't it?
(I found that in ../../mk/bsd.prefs.mk) At least it never downloads
packages for me, unless I use pkgin and tell it where to download
from...

/etc/pkg_install.conf can contain PKG_PATH which (I think) might point
at an URL, but that file isn't even in the etc set. Also, mk/bsd.pkg.mk
doesn't seem to like it set (PKG_FAIL_REASON+='Please unset PKG_PATH
before doing pkgsrc work!)

Anyway, even if my own install is by now so far from default that I get
misled by its behaviour, I'd say that if downloading binary packages
from "make bin-install" in pkgsrc is somehow default, I'd consider that a
bug. That somebody would set that up explicitly (probably pointing at
self-compiled packages on another host) makes sense, but for getting the
builds from the netbsd bulk builds would be the job of a binary package
manager.

Pkg_comp1 + pkg_chk is set up with DEPENDS_TARGET ?= bin-instal and that
works fine.

> Joerg
-Olaf.
--
___ "Buying carbon credits is a bit like a serial killer paying someone else to
\X/  have kids to make his activity cost neutral." -The BOFH    falu.nl@rhialto