Re: unprivileged build, privileged install issues

On Fri, Nov 26, 2021 at 8:08 AM Mayuresh <mayuresh%acm.org@localhost> wrote:
On Fri, Nov 26, 2021 at 10:23:42AM +0530, Mayuresh wrote:
> I am making an unprivileged build and later on installing it using pkg_add
> -p /usr/pkg. Is this a normal way or there is more to it?

Looks like I am looking for chrooted build rather than unprivileged. Is
there any good documentation of it. I came across pbulk[1] documentation.
I am not looking for a bulk build though.

[1] https://netbsd.org/~bacon/Pbulk/index.html

--
Mayuresh

Hello Mayuresh,

i was asking a similar thing on this list a while ago.

Unfortunately the answer was that packages are specific to where they have been built.
You can't take a package built for one pkgsrc basepath and use them with another basepath.

As you found, the packages have some hardcoded paths in them. While you can override some paths, not all packages honor this and will fail on install and/or running.

So sadly in this case you have to use a build machine where you can build privileged on the same path where you plan to implant it to the target machine or directly rebuild your packages on the target machine.

Discussion was here:
https://mail-index.netbsd.org/pkgsrc-users/2020/10/24/msg032470.html

Regards,
Connor