Re: pkg_delete all dependant packages recursively

On 03/11/2020 14:08, Greg Troxel wrote:

Aside from an issue with dependencies that rebuild-tree fixes, I don't
have reports of "scrambled".  Only that some package was replaced and
that some package that depends on it failed to build and thus doesn't
work.
This was quite a while back so its entirely possible that things have
improved. My overwhelming memory of using it was about every 6 months having to uninstall everything and wait while all packages rebuild and also being left with non-operational packages if something failed to build half way through the rolling replace. This wasn't really ideal given that some of my BSD machines are depending on pkgsrc packages for critical services.

I actually recreate the build sandbox for my binary package builds
from scratch for every build. It takes a lot longer but guarantees no
mismatches unless I happen to catch the pkgsrc tree in an inconsistent
state (Which is rare). This means my build system spends 10 hours a
week building packages for 9.1-STABLE-amd64 and
8.2-STABLE-amd64. However it is all automated so all I have to do is
check that the builds workd and run pkgin to get the new packages.

That is a great approach if you can handle it.

The advantages of my day job involving CI/CD systems. I do it with jenkins and sudo to create the priveleged chroots. My only manual steps are checking the build status and running pkgin and that's intentional so I can control when the updates actually happen. I was heavily inspired by the pkg_comp scripts.

I'm mulling working out a way of pulling in unchanged packages from
the previous build to speed things up but not spent any time on doing
it yet ;)

I think if you set up pbulk this will do what you want.

Yes I did look at that. I couldn't figure out how to make it integrate with libkver. I use this with chroot sandboxes so my fast 9.1-STABLE build machine can build packages for my slower systems still running 8.2-STABLE. It was quicker to write my own scripts that to figure out how to bootstrap pbulk in such a way that libkver was used for the bulk run. Occasionally I still build packages for i386 systems as well to keep a working desktop setup on a couple of really old laptops.

I also went to some trouble in my scripts to capture tarballs of the build tree if something fails to build as this helps with reporting failures here :)

Mike