Re: Error building "mplayer" and "mencoder": "missing library: libutil.so.7"

* On 2020-06-05 at 02:47 BST, Jesus Cea wrote:

> >   1) save the build output, and grep it for -lutil, libutil, etc.   If you
> >   can find where in the build it is even trying to look for a library
> >   named util, that will help a lot.
>
> No "-lutil" neither "libutil" search hits.

Don't feel bad about not finding this one, it's a bit of a gnarly
problem.  The issue is that libgifutil has the wrong soname:

  $ greadelf -Wd /opt/local/lib/libgifutil.so | grep NAME
  0x000000000000000e (SONAME)             Library soname: [libutil.so.7]

We don't currently have any checks for this type of error, because
usually it would blow up pretty quickly (and any dependencies would be
caught by the checks you are running foul of), but it looks like the
usage of this library is pretty rare.  mplayer is only using it due to
this section of multimedia/mplayer-share/Makefile.common:

  # For GifQuantizeBuffer of graphics/giflib
  BUILDLINK_TRANSFORM+=          l:gif:gif:gifutil

(This replaces all "-lgif" compiler arguments with "-lgif -lgifutil").

I'll take a look at fixing libgifutil, and I also wonder if our usage
of it here is incorrect.

Cheers,