Re: pkgtools/pkg_install does not compile with gcc-9 (Ubutnu 20)

Ottavio Caruso <ottavio2006-usenet2012%yahoo.com@localhost> writes:

> On Tue, 17 Mar 2020 at 12:38, Shay Perlstein <Shay.Perlstein%tomtom.com@localhost> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 2020-03-17 at 09:01 +0000, Ottavio Caruso wrote:
>> > I would checkout current and make a second bootstrap with a separate
>> > prefix:
>> >
>> > ./bootstrap --prefer-pkgsrc yes --prefix /usr/pkg-current
>> >
>> > and then build from current and see what comes out.
>> But why should I do that? I mean the main quesiton is about the pkg

You should do that because here we only want to fix pkgsrc-current and
for a few more weeks 2019Q4.  So if you want something fixed, or help,
we generally ask that you first update to something that isn't deprecated.

>> default setting to force the usage of the system compiler. I did change
>> it locally and everything compiles fine with pksrc GCC7 compiler which
>> we use to compile everything (again we are on a last year release
>> branch).
>> Our main usage of pkgsrc is to avoid system dependencies, buidling
>> pkgsrc bootstrap and/or packages with system compilers is not desired.

You need a compiler to start with.   How are you going to bootstrap
without a system compiler?

I would suggest that you start by having your base OS configuration
under configuration management.

If you are trying to build pkgsrc with a system compiler and then
rebuild things with native, and then move that around, it is tricky and
may be hard.

> Senior users will correct me, but I'm led to believe that whatever is
> in Makefile will override whatever is in mk.conf. I'm not 100% sure
> but this is my experience.

I think so, but this is not 100% solid as there are variables assigned
with = and with =?.

Part of the issue is that there is a notion of "user settable" variables
which should be in mk.conf (only) and "package settable" variables which
should be in packages (only).  But, sometimes they don't come in pairs,
and are abused.

It gets harder when people do unusual or nonstandard things.