Re: Unable to build mysql55-client NetBSD 8_Stable (Open SSL 1.1.1 related?)

> yancm%sdf.org@localhost writes:
>
>> I updated pkgsrc to current this AM (Jan 18, 2020) and saw
>> OpenSSL had been updated... Running NetBSD 8_Stable
>> (Mid-December 2019 sources) amd_64
>
> Not only was openssl updated, but API_DEPENDS is set to 1.1, so while
> building things from pkgsrc used to use base system openssl on NetBSD,
> now they won't.

For pkgsrc builds, I have
PREFER_PKGSRC+=openssl
in /etc/mk.conf

> I see the point that 1.0 is no longer maintained, but I wonder if users
> should be able to ask for system openssl use or not.  I suspect that the
> number of issues is not that high and that fixing them is for the best.

I assume this is directed at others as I do not have the skills to fix
packages really...?

>> /usr/pkgsrc/databases/mysql55-client/work/mysql-5.5.62/vio/viosslfactories.c:16:
>> /usr/pkgsrc/databases/mysql55-client/work/.buildlink/include/openssl/ssl.h:1878:45:
>> note: declared here
>>  DEPRECATEDIN_1_1_0(__owur const SSL_METHOD *TLSv1_server_method(void))
>>                                              ^
>> /usr/pkgsrc/databases/mysql55-client/work/.buildlink/include/openssl/opensslconf.h:109:37:
>> note: in definition of macro 'DECLARE_DEPRECATED'
>>  #   define DECLARE_DEPRECATED(f)    f __attribute__ ((deprecated));
>>                                      ^
>> /usr/pkgsrc/databases/mysql55-client/work/.buildlink/include/openssl/ssl.h:1878:1:
>> note: in expansion of macro 'DEPRECATEDIN_1_1_0'
>>  DEPRECATEDIN_1_1_0(__owur const SSL_METHOD *TLSv1_server_method(void))
>>  ^
>> gmake[2]: *** [vio/CMakeFiles/vio.dir/build.make:102:
>> vio/CMakeFiles/vio.dir/viosslfactories.c.o] Error 1
>> gmake[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/Makefile2:635: vio/CMakeFiles/vio.dir/all]
>> Error 2
>> gmake: *** [Makefile:152: all] Error 2
>> *** Error code 2
>
> I don't know if it would suffice to enable deprecated features.

Is this something you suggest *I* do? If so, how?

> I wonder if you have tried 56 and 57.  There appear to be continuation
> forks of mysql as well, and my fuzzy impression is that there is gulf
> between the open source continuation fork world and the oracle world.

mysql55 is a dependency of another package or packages, I am not pulling this
in explicitly. As my update has already deleted mysql55-client, I cannot
immediately
tell which package(s) depend on it.

> I would normally suggest seeing what mysql upstream is doing as surely
> other systems have updated to newer openssl.  But, from a quick glance,
> it looks like mysql upstream is mostly not open source, and they
> don't even list 5.x.
>
> I am unclear on the licensing/etc. of 6.x and newer, but it seems that
> there have been enough name changes to make it confusing.
>
> There are some packages mariadb and percona in a repository at
>   git%github.com@localhost:joyent/pkgsrc-joyent.git
> I am unclear on whether there are good reasons they haven't been
> migrated to pkgsrc proper (as opposed to lack of round tuits).

These actions seem possible for package maintainers, but I'm just trying to
update locally installed packages against pkgsrc-current and failing...
Yes I understand the risks of following current, not complaining really,
but informing the tree seems broken at the moment. I pulled in changes
from yesterday and mysql55-client build is still broken per above.