Re: Unable to build mysql55-client NetBSD 8_Stable (Open SSL 1.1.1 related?)

yancm%sdf.org@localhost writes:

> I updated pkgsrc to current this AM (Jan 18, 2020) and saw
> OpenSSL had been updated... Running NetBSD 8_Stable
> (Mid-December 2019 sources) amd_64

Not only was openssl updated, but API_DEPENDS is set to 1.1, so while
building things from pkgsrc used to use base system openssl on NetBSD,
now they won't.

I see the point that 1.0 is no longer maintained, but I wonder if users
should be able to ask for system openssl use or not.  I suspect that the
number of issues is not that high and that fixing them is for the best.

> /usr/pkgsrc/databases/mysql55-client/work/mysql-5.5.62/vio/viosslfactories.c:16:
> /usr/pkgsrc/databases/mysql55-client/work/.buildlink/include/openssl/ssl.h:1878:45:
> note: declared here
>  DEPRECATEDIN_1_1_0(__owur const SSL_METHOD *TLSv1_server_method(void))
>                                              ^
> /usr/pkgsrc/databases/mysql55-client/work/.buildlink/include/openssl/opensslconf.h:109:37:
> note: in definition of macro 'DECLARE_DEPRECATED'
>  #   define DECLARE_DEPRECATED(f)    f __attribute__ ((deprecated));
>                                      ^
> /usr/pkgsrc/databases/mysql55-client/work/.buildlink/include/openssl/ssl.h:1878:1:
> note: in expansion of macro 'DEPRECATEDIN_1_1_0'
>  DEPRECATEDIN_1_1_0(__owur const SSL_METHOD *TLSv1_server_method(void))
>  ^
> gmake[2]: *** [vio/CMakeFiles/vio.dir/build.make:102:
> vio/CMakeFiles/vio.dir/viosslfactories.c.o] Error 1
> gmake[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/Makefile2:635: vio/CMakeFiles/vio.dir/all] Error 2
> gmake: *** [Makefile:152: all] Error 2
> *** Error code 2

I don't know if it would suffice to enable deprecated features.

I wonder if you have tried 56 and 57.  There appear to be continuation
forks of mysql as well, and my fuzzy impression is that there is gulf
between the open source continuation fork world and the oracle world.

I would normally suggest seeing what mysql upstream is doing as surely
other systems have updated to newer openssl.  But, from a quick glance,
it looks like mysql upstream is mostly not open source, and they
don't even list 5.x.

I am unclear on the licensing/etc. of 6.x and newer, but it seems that
there have been enough name changes to make it confusing.

There are some packages mariadb and percona in a repository at
  git%github.com@localhost:joyent/pkgsrc-joyent.git
I am unclear on whether there are good reasons they haven't been
migrated to pkgsrc proper (as opposed to lack of round tuits).