Re: Solaris 11.4 x86 devel/gettext-tools error

* On 2019-08-07 at 12:11 BST, Jörn Clausen wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 7, 2019 at 12:45 PM <maya%netbsd.org@localhost> wrote:
>
> > This looks like a big toolchain issue unrelated to the package, since it
> > doesn't use -G, so the problem is gcc8.
> > Do you have more than one 'ld', by the way?
>
> Although this advice was given to me probably 15+ years ago (so now it
> might be more a habit than a well-founded decision), I still try to
> avoid the GNU linker on Solaris, and stick to the native one.

Yep same, there should be no need to use GNU ld on SunOS-based
systems.

> Unfortunately, some packages in pkgsrc insist on installing
> devel/binutils.

While that's true, it should not affect regular operation.  The GCC
packages are configured to select the native ld and the presence of
GNU ld should not mean that it is used.

Usually if you find a hard-coded call to ld in a package it should be
replaced with the compiler front-end anyway so that the correct flags
can be applied.