Re: Repackaging android blobs into pkgsrc packages

On 2019-02-04 23:24, David Brownlee wrote:
On Mon, 4 Feb 2019 at 17:23, Aleksej Lebedev <root%zta.lk@localhost> wrote:

http://blog.qt.io/blog/2016/01/13/new-agreement-with-the-kde-free-qt-foundation/)

I don't fully understand all specifics of licensing (I am an engineer,
not a lawyer),
but the problematic part seems to be this one (from the same blog post):

LGPL version 3 differs from version 2.1 in two fundamental aspects. It
explicitly protects the right of the end user to not only compile their
modifications, but also deploy and run them on the target device. This
essentially prevents the creation of fully locked-down devices.

Specifically, the problem is that lgpl-3 prevents so-called tivoization.

Anyway, the license does matter to us. So we will have to maintain
qt-5.6.
I was wandering if pkgsrc community wants to see it as a separate entity
(x11/qt56)?

Would you anticipate setting up something like
"QT5_VERSIONS_INCOMPATIBLE=56" similar to
PYTHON_VERSIONS_INCOMPATIBLE, or is this just to build your own
internal tools against?

Currently, just to build our own internal tools.

I think if it is able to be installed and run concurrently with qt-5.7
(or later) on a machine, then as it has a valid use case (licence),
and if its actively maintained and doesn't cause issues for bulk
builders it should be welcomed into pkgsrc (but someone closer to the
coalface may have a more relevant opinion :)

Thanks for you answer. All of what you said can be done, but I am not sure
if I will be able to maintain it well enough. As Greg mentioned in his
reply (I agree with him), forking software in pkgsrc is probably not
the best thing unless there is a real need (other packages require it)
and the fork is well maintained.

David

--
Aleksej Lebedev