Re: Repackaging android blobs into pkgsrc packages

On 2018-12-21 17:58, Greg Troxel wrote:
Aleksej Lebedev <root%zta.lk@localhost> writes:

Here is what we have:

    plantuml
    proguard
    protobuf26 (because it's incompatible with protobuf 3 and we need
the old one)
    py-clang-gcov-fix
    py-multimethod2 (the same as py-multimethod but our own fixes)
    ruby-asciidoctor-pdf
    android-ndk
    android-platform-{14-28}
    android-build-tools
    android-platform-tools
    p4v

I would say that unless things are clearly inappropriate for pkgsrc
proper, I would tend to put them there (or wip if they are not stable),
rather than putting them in an add-on repo.

Thanks for your answer. Makes sense. I will consider committing some parts to wip.

All android packages are simply (re-)packaged tarballs of the original
google blobs. As I understand they don't belong to
pkgsrc. Nevertheless they might be usefull for somebody, is there a
good place for them?

I guess the big question there is how they get updated, and how that
compares to the upstream update cycle, and how many are likely to want
them.  If the Android SDK is easier to run on NetBSD (under linux
emulation??) because of these packages, I'd say that's a win.  But I'm
not sure how the Android SDK's own update mechanism would interact with
pkgsrc.

Android SDK's own update mechanism would probably interact with pkgsrc very badly.
But it's not assumed to be used in this case.

P4V is also a repackaged binary of the Perforce visual client.

We have packages for proprietary software, so this seems to fit
(although very likely it will not be redistributable, it can be useful
locally).

It's distributed under a separate lincense. Should I do the same trick as lang/oracle-jdk8 does?
I.e. ask user to download the binary manually and put it to distfiles?

While here, I have a question regading qt5. Pkgsrc jumped over 5.6
long time ago, but as I recently learned QT switched to a different
license after 5.6 which make it impossible for us to use the most
recent version provided by pkgsrc. My question is doesn't it affect
pkgsrc too? And was there a plan to include qt-5.6 in pkgsrc as a
separate package?

The license tag on qt5 says

  gnu-lgpl-v2.1 AND gnu-gpl-v3

which doesn't seem that odd.  Can you explain the issue more
specifically? I wonder if our tag is wrong (quick search gives hints of
lgpl 3, not 2), and if your problem is gpl2/3 compatibility, or
something else.

It seems to me that gnu-lgpl-v2.1 is wrong as the following blog post says
"So Qt 5.7 will not be available under LGPLv2.1 anymore":

http://blog.qt.io/blog/2016/01/13/new-agreement-with-the-kde-free-qt-foundation/)

I don't fully understand all specifics of licensing (I am an engineer, not a lawyer),
but the problematic part seems to be this one (from the same blog post):

LGPL version 3 differs from version 2.1 in two fundamental aspects. It explicitly protects the right of the end user to not only compile their modifications, but also deploy and run them on the target device. This essentially prevents the creation of fully locked-down devices.

Specifically, the problem is that lgpl-3 prevents so-called tivoization.

Anyway, the license does matter to us. So we will have to maintain qt-5.6. I was wandering if pkgsrc community wants to see it as a separate entity (x11/qt56)?

--
Aleksej Lebedev