kde4 on NetBSD-current?

Every year or so since kde4 came out on pkgsrc, I have tried using
it over kde3.  Kde4 has never been very stable for me on any NetBSD
machine, usually crashing within a few hours of use but with kde3
gone now, I thought I would try it again, but it is even more
unstable and unusable than ever. In particular, on amd64 -current
screen refreshes are not performed so any mouse move requires a
manual screen refresh.  Only the mouse cursor moves.  I can't keep
it from crashing long enough to even find a way to start an xterm,
(which doesn't seem to be available from the kde4 desktop anymore).

The std dbus and hal daemons are running. Anything else now that
is required these days?