Re: Linux: replacing network-manager with dhcpcd-gtk (or anything else)

Hi Ottavio

On 08/01/2018 14:10, Ottavio Caruso wrote:
A few weeks ago I was looking for a Linux distro on which to install
pkgsrc. I experimented with CentOs but I wasn't very happy, so I gave
up with pkgsrc altogether and installed Linux Mint Debian edition,
only because it comes with everything but the kitchen sink, or so I
thought.

I am terribly irritated by systemd + network-manager interactions. For
example the network doesn't come up after suspend from resume. I have
been googling intensively for the last few days and I haven't found a
cleaner solution than just restarting network manager from the cli. So
I though of getting rid of NM and install dhcpcd-gtk from pkgsrc,
because that was working well with NetBSD.

But before doing that, I want to know if I'm doing the right thing and
not locking myself out. I know that dhcpcd-gtk is a front end to
dhcpcd and wpa_supplicant.

I do have wpa_supplicant already but it doesn't seem to be using a
configuration file:

$ ps aux|grep wpa
root      2923  0.0  0.1  31120  6532 ?        S    Jan05   0:03
/sbin/wpa_supplicant -u -s -O /run/wpa_supplicant

And apparently no dhcpcd:

$ ps aux|grep dhcp
root      6830  0.0  0.2  25404 10220 ?        S    13:47   0:00
/sbin/dhclient -d -q -sf /usr/lib/NetworkManager/nm-dhcp-helper -pf
/var/run/dhclient-wlan0.pid -lf
/var/lib/NetworkManager/dhclient-671d0b1b-65dd-476c-a57f-773e7faeb811-wlan0.lease
-cf /var/lib/NetworkManager/dhclient-wlan0.conf wlan0

NetworkManager will control starting and stopping wpa_supplicant AND configure wpa_supplicant over DBus - hence no configuration file in that setup (at least, not for wpa_supplicant). It will also start dhclient.

dhcpcd on the other hand won't do any of that by default.
You are required to start wpa_supplicant via your init system of choice OR install the 10-wpa_supplicant hook file for dhcpcd.
It goes without saying the init system needs to start dhcpcd as well.

Here is the bare minimum wpa_supplicant.conf:
# If wheel group does not exist, use root instead
ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=wheel
update_config=1

Here is how it looks whilst running on my system:
/usr/sbin/wpa_supplicant -B -M -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
/sbin/dhcpcd -qM

As you're using Debian you don't have the luxury of the -M flag for wpa_supplicant so you'll need to specify -i wlan0 instead.

One last piece of advice, disable NetworkManager *before* attempting to start wpa_supplicant and dhcpcd as they won't play nicely with each other.

Roy