Re: pkgsrc on PPC64 linux

On Jan 4, 2018, at 11:37 AM, Greg Troxel wrote:

Al Zick <al%familysafeinternet.com@localhost> writes:

I installed pkgsrc on PPC64 linux (e5500 cpu). It works with
pkgsrc-2016Q2.tar.gz, although many packages fail to build. However, a
recent pkgsrc failed to build anything even though I had a successful
bootstrap. It sounds like it can't find C. Searching didn't yield
anything useful. I will need to install a newer pkgsrc to give you the
exact error. I thought maybe I should check here, before I go any
further, should pkgsrc work on PPC64 linux, or is the processor an
issue?

It is likely to work, but I know of no recent data.  If the bootstrap
succeeds, that's a clue that things are mostly ok.

I would recommend that you try with a clean pkgsrc-2017Q4, and that you
post your precise errors.  After bootstrap, build something simple
(devel/m4?). And if it fails, look at the config.log or whatever inside
the package.

Make sure your /tmp is not messed up.  On NetBSD, it needs to be
writable, and I think it needs to allow execution.   Many problems
manifest as "can't compile executables".

Try compiling a few-line .c file, too, from the command line, to see if
your system is ok to start with.

Okay, I tried what you suggested and some packages compile with pkgsrc-2017Q4, including m4.

However, tcsh still gives the same error:
checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c -o root - g root
checking build system type... powerpc64-debian-linux-gnu
checking host system type... powerpc64-debian-linux-gnu
checking cached host tuple... ok
Tcsh will use configuration file `linux'.
checking for ppc64-debian-linux-gcc... cc
checking whether the C compiler works... no
configure: error: in `/usr/pkgsrc/shells/tcsh/work/tcsh-6.20.00':
See `config.log' for more details
*** Error code 77

Stop.
bmake[1]: stopped in /usr/pkgsrc/shells/tcsh
*** Error code 1

Stop.
bmake: stopped in /usr/pkgsrc/shells/tcsh

Checking the config.log was a good idea:
configure:3003: checking for ppc64-debian-linux-gcc
configure:3030: result: cc
configure:3299: checking for C compiler version
configure:3308: cc --version >&5
cc: Invalid transform rule: l:termcap:
configure:3319: $? = 255
configure:3308: cc -v >&5
cc: Invalid transform rule: l:termcap:
configure:3319: $? = 255
configure:3308: cc -V >&5
cc: Invalid transform rule: l:termcap:
configure:3319: $? = 255
configure:3308: cc -qversion >&5
cc: Invalid transform rule: l:termcap:
configure:3319: $? = 255
configure:3339: checking whether the C compiler works
configure:3361: cc -O2 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -Wl,-R/usr/pkg/lib conftest.c >&5
cc: Invalid transform rule: l:termcap:
configure:3365: $? = 255
configure:3403: result: no

This is the same error that pico fails with.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks,
Al