Re: Firefox stability?

On Tue, 10 Jan 2017, John D. Baker wrote:
So, firefox doesn't depend on cups and can cope without it, but will try to use it if it finds it?

That's definitely how most of that cra^H^H^H uhm, stuff with GNOME hooks works. For whatever reason, those apps seem to cope with LPD also. Maybe they just fire and forget at port 515. Maybe CUPS is good enough at LPD emulation that is still the lingua franca.

I'm speaking from having the unfortunate experience of needing to print from GNOME or GNOME-tainted stuff. It seems to work fine even if I don't have cups installed and I'm only using LPD.

The real problem I think is more on the compilation / dependency end of things. Ie.. I'd imagine GNOME stuff is going to bang the table and demand that you have CUPS there first, required or not.

-Swift